Purpose and description of the course
In this course, we explore four inter-related elements of the digital workplace:
- Technologies of the digital workplace
- The workforce
- New ways of working
The technological environment that enables information sharing, collaboration, and communication is at the heart of the digital workplace. Technology is thus the first element of the course, where we will discuss the necessary digital capabilities that organizations must have. Crucially, however, a digital workplace is unlikely to be fully virtual; we thus also consider how hybrid digital-physical spaces will be key in the future.
The workforce is the second critical element of a digital workplace. We will look into the workforce trends of the future and raise some of the dilemmas related to such trends. We will also discuss what makes the digitally savvy workforce tick and how the workforce of the future is changing with e.g. automation and algorithms.
The third element is the various novel work practices that constitute the digital workplace. We will look at new ways of working at an individual, team, and organizational level -and discuss what boosts work-life flexibility, worker agility, and engagement. We will critically reflect on new work trends and their role in workforce management.
Finally, the fourth element of the course is the role of leadership. In a digital workplace, it is crucial to consider how different leadership styles together can provide effective sensemaking around a new digital workplace arrangement and foster new ways of working such as employees managing their own work and agile teams.
It is important to consider the synergies between the four elements when designing a digital workplace. Furthermore, a successful digital transformation is not a technology-driven endeavor; rather, it is a cultural and organizational transformation. We will conclude this course by discussing digital workplace design and transformation as key enablers of organizing for digitalization.
Key themes in the course
- Foundations of the digital workplace: Digital capabilities and technologies, hybrid digital-physical spaces and digital workforce
- Emerging new ways of working (i.e., structures, processes, and activities) and novel leadership styles supporting and enhancing the digital workplace
- Broader business transformations enabled by digital workplace
- Critical reflections on new technological and workforce management trends.
Your learning outcome
In this course, you will learn:
- Identify and assess the digital capabilities that organizations need to support the digital workplace of the future
- Identify and assess the different types of workforce needed in the digital workplace
- Identify and assess best-fitting new ways of working and leadership styles, given a certain technological and physical environment and workforce characteristics
- Identify and assess opportunities for broader digital business transformations
- Use academic research as inspiration for both tactical and strategic decisions.
Who should attend this course
The course targets managers and professionals interested in understanding, developing, and managing the digital workplace – with new forms of collaboration, engagement, and innovation to satisfy a digitally savvy workforce, thereby accelerating productivity and agility, as well as facilitating the broader digital transformation of business.
First two days from 9.00 – 17.00, last day from 9.00 – 13.00
Address: CBS, Dalgas have 15, Frederiksberg 2000
Written test based on project report. Spring 2021: Deadline for submitting assigment: