Purpose and description of the course
This course provides the foundation for managing open innovation processes for Life Science firms. Comparing closed to open innovation approaches, the course focuses on outside-in open innovation processes, such as sourcing external knowledge from and collaborating with users, universities, suppliers, competitors, and the like for generating innovation. Moreover, the course discusses the interplay between innovation, exploration, exploitation, and search, and the growing importance of efficient search approaches across widely distributed sources of innovation. More specifically, we will discuss the concepts of local vs. distant search and related search methods for accessing and leveraging innovation-relevant knowledge.
The Managing Open Innovation course will particularly highlight the role of users and user communities as a source of innovation. The course will discuss corporate finance and how value innovation projects can be calculated. Finally, the course will introduce participants to concrete search applications, such as crowdsourcing for generating inputs to organisations’ innovation processes.
Key themes in the course
- Open vs. closed innovation approaches
- Open innovation management and processes
- Distributed sources of innovation
- Open innovation methods for outbound, inbound and coupled innovation processes
- Organizational antecedents of open innovation.
- Calculation of the value of innovation
Your learning outcome
In this course, you will learn to:
- Develop a sound understanding of the open innovation approach
- How to effectively search across and collaborate with different sources of innovation (internal and external to an organization) to develop innovations
- Create and capture value in open innovation
- Design and implement open innovation activities in firms.
Who should attend this course
The course is relevant to managers from Pharma-, BioTech-, and MedTech-business, who are interested in influencing their workplaces and careers by gaining insights into different innovation practices.
Participants signed up for the specialization business development of the lifesciences are eligible for the course.
Each day from 9.00 – 17.00
Address: CBS, Dalgas have 15, Frederiksberg 2000
The exam is carried out as a home assignment, where a written product has to be submitted.
Date of submission: 27th January 2023